Internal and external tools
Internal tools are such tools which are integrated into AI by AI developer.
Example of human's analogue would be a hand + motion part of the brain, which human has since birthday. Another example: eyes + vision center of the brain --- this vision tool is also integrated into human's brain before the brain starts to work.
External tools are such tools which are integrated into AI by AI itself. AI learns from its own experience or from external knowledge about the tool, then practice to use the tool, and then use it.
Example of human's analogue here would be an axe. Another example could be calculator.
Indistinct boundaries between Internal and External tools
How would you classify "heart pacemaker"? Without this tool some people cannot live. Also human doesn't have to learn about use heart pacemaker. At the same time humans don't get "heart pacemaker" with their body. Is it external or internal tool for humans?
In case of AI intermingling between internal and external tools is even deeper, because AI is pretty flexible.
For example, AI can learn about advanced math tool from an article in magazine, and then integrate itself with this tool. Such integration can be very tight since computers have very extendable architecture (in comparison with humans). So, "external tool" can become "internal tool".
Importance of internal tools
Internal tools are very important for AI because mind cannot communicate with the world without tools. External tools are unavailable for a mind without internal tools.
Internal tools integration with AI
Internal tools are connected with the mind through a set of neurons. This set of neurons is associated with the tool. When the set is active - the tool is active. When the tool is active then set of neurons is active.
Let consider internal tool integration on example of "chat client program" (like ICQ, MSN, or Yahoo messenger).
"Chat client program" is represented in the main memory by neuron nChatClientProgram.
If AI decided to chat then AI activates nChatClientProgram neuron. That activates "chat client program" (the tool). The tool reads active memory concepts, converts them into text and sends text message over internet. After that the tool activates neuron nChatClientProgramAnswerWaitMode in the main memory.
When the tool gets response from Internet, then the tool:
- Parses incoming text and put received concepts into the short memory.
- Activates neuron nChatClientProgramAnswerReceived.
Activation of nChatClientProgramAnswerReceived causes execution of softcoded routine associated with nChatClientProgramAnswerReceived neuron.
After execution, the results are evaluated against AI's super goals. AI learns from the experience, in particular:
1. Desirability of nChatClientProgram, nChatClientProgramAnswerWaitMode, nChatClientProgramAnswerReceived, and other related neurons are evaluated (see Reward distribution routine). Successful chatting experience would increase desirability of nChatClientProgram neuron and therefore probability of "Chat client program" use in the future. Unsuccessful experience would reduce probability of such use.
2. Softcoded routines are evaluated and modified. Modified routine can be applied to process results of the next incoming message.
List of internal tools to develop for strong AI
1. Timer. It's good to have internal sense of time.
2. Google search - helps to understand new concepts.
3. Chat with operator.
4. Internet chat client.
Importance of external tools
External tools are important because:
1) There could be millions of external tools.
2) AI can use already developed humans' tools.
3) External tools can be converted into internal tools and gain all advantages of internal tools.
External tools integration with AI
External tools are connected with the mind through internal tools.
Internal tool: web browser.
External tool: stock exchange web site.
Through internal tool AI can use external tool.